Garden Center Clerk
General Function :
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Replenishes merchandise, ensures cleanliness and safety in the department, answers customer questions, and runs register.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director, Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations, Assistant Managers, Garden Center Manager
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities :
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
• escorting them to the products they're looking for
• securing products that are out of reach
• loading or unloading heavy items
• making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
• performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
5. Answers the telephone promptly when called upon, and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
6. Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
7. Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
8. Waters, prunes, and maintains plants in garden center department.
9. Answers customer questions about plants.
10. Receives and unloads product.
11. Operates cash register accurately and scans product, (where applicable).
12. Redeems promotional coupons, issues rain checks, receives cash, checks, completes credit-card charge transactions, in-store charges and figures discounts, as well as, counts back change and issues receipts.
13. Places merchandise in bags or boxes, and assists courtesy personnel as needed.
14. Handles customer issues and follows-up with appropriate personnel.
15. Stocks, faces, rotates merchandise, cleans shelves, understands shelf tags, knows location of merchandise in the department and takes customers to an item when requested.
16. Keeps register area clean, ensures adequate supplies are ready and available, reports improper cash levels in cash drawer, and helps maintain the department appearance.
17. Compares totals on cash register with amount of currency in register to verify balances at the beginning and end of work shift, (where applicable).
18. Sweeps garden center area daily, and hoses off lot when needed.
19. Removes trash in a timely manner.
20. Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
21. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
22. Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Prices products for customers as necessary.
2. Assists in other areas of store as needed.
3. Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
No education requirement. Six months or less of similar or related work experience.
• Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
• Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
• Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
• Must have the ability to follow written, verbal, or diagrammatic instructions; several concrete variables.
• Must be able to perform simple addition and subtraction; copy figures, count and record.
• Must be able to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies orally or in writing; guide people and provide basic direction.
Working Conditions :
This position is occasionally exposed to equipment movement hazard and continually exposed to dirt, noise, temperature extremes, dampness, and chemicals/solvents. This is a fast paced work environment with a significant amount of pressure.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Cash register, phone, garden tools, box cutter, broom, mop, fork lift, and calculator.
Has daily contact with customers and suppliers and vendors.